I have been getting quite a workout these past few days. But I haven’t given up my craft time. No, I’ve gone back to quilting.
I got back to the Lone star quilt, which is now fully queen sized. The last border is attached, the batting is all on, and I am at the point of attaching the backing fabric. There is nowhere in my house with enough flat space to put out a 92 inch square of three layers of fabric and batting, so that is my first challenge. I put it on the kitchen floor and tried to pin half of the center square, then shift everything over without shifting the layers and pin the other side. I only need to do minimal quilting in the center area; I’ve already quilted the top to the batting in smaller sections. I need to attach the backing a little, and then quilt the outer border through all layers together. So I thought I could outline, stitch in the ditch, the eight big diamonds that make up the star. Problem is, this is at the very center of a queen size quilt! By the time I shoved half the quilt under the foot of my machine, the backing fabric was no longer lined up right. I guess I didn’t pin enough. I stitched around half of the diamonds, and realized the backing was all puckered and pleated and folded — a real disaster. It was enough of a mess that I had to walk away and leave it in a great big puckered pile for later. Much later.