So to fix the sleeves on my tunic, working one sleeve at a time, I pulled out the garter stitch border, picked up the live stitches, and added 20 more rows of stockinette stitch. On row 10, I did a decrease row the same way the decreases were done earlier in the sleeve. After 20 rows I did the garter stitch border, and then the bind off. I picked 20 rows because that should add 4 inches, and with some nice blocking, should end up making a 3/4 length sleeve. I still didn’t throw any lifelines. Go figure.
One note about binding off. Usually, a pattern won’t specify what kind of bind off you should do. So you are free to do any type you want! After I learned the Russian bind off, I tend to use that one. It is very stretchy, so it won’t add any support or structure. On the other hand, it is very stretchy so it is not binding or confining. I like it for cuffs, especially on sleeves that I might want to push up. I also used it on the neck edge of this tunic, although I probably could have used one that is a little more firm. I think it will be OK, hopefully it won’t end up too loose or floppy. The Russian bind off uses a bit more yarn than a simple ‘knit and flip’ bind off, and takes a little more time, but it is almost impossible to work it too tightly, which is an advantage. It doesn’t work everywhere, but I tend to use it more often that not. Lots of tutorials — Google and YouTube!